The world is divided over many issues, not least the relative merits of savoury snacks versus sweet, so we’ll try to do right by everyone and list the very best of both. This is not scientific, we conducted no surveys, but we are vegans, and we snack a lot. And this is what we reach for when breakfast was an hour ago and there are still two hours until lunch.
1. Chips and dips, by which we mean crisps and dips, though that doesn’t trip off the tongue quite so well. Many regular crisps are vegan, and not just the salted varieties. Many zingy flavours are also vegan, including Walkers Prawn Cocktail and Worcester Sauce crisps, and Pringles’ Smokey Bacon and BBQ flavours. For dips, we love a salsa or a hummus, although homemade guacamole is hard to beat.
2. Cheese and crackers. Not dairy cheese, of course, but vegan cheese. All major supermarkets sell a range of flavours, from garlic and chive cream cheese to blue cheese to smoked, and there are many more varieties available online. Not everyone will like all of them, of course, but isn’t that true of all cheeses? Team up your favourite with Branston pickle or – if you’re feeling wild – with piccalilli.
3.Chips. Straight from the oven, and dunked in ketchup or vegan mayonnaise. In a bag from the chippy drenched in salt and vinegar. Or, if you’re in the mood for double-carbing, between two slices of bread for a fantastic chip butty.
4. Toast. Cheese on, beans on, or slathered in Marmite, jam or peanut butter, toast is the perfect quick and simple, a midmorning snack or late-night belly filler. And all supermarkets sell dairy-free spread for the king of all snacks – toast and melting (vegan) butter.
5. Popcorn. Make it at home, buy it at the store, eat it in the cinema (ssshhh) or wherever you choose. There are so many great favours out there, including Propercorn’s Peanut Butter & Almond and Sundried Tomato & Chilli.
6. Chocolate. Of course, chocolate is on the list. It’s one of the products people think they will miss when they first become vegan but worry no more. There are many delicious brands and types available including vegan ‘milk’ chocolate and white chocolate, as well as some delicious nutty, coconutty, chilli, salty, caramelly, minty, and fruity flavours. If you twisted our arm and made us choose, we’d have to recommend the Vego Bar. But Ombar’s are so good, too. And we love the whole Booja Booja range. And Mummy Meagz…
7. Fruit and nuts. So, this is the snack many non-vegans think vegans must eat all the time and yes, lots of us do dabble but that’s because there are so many more options than an apple and a bag of peanuts. There are fresh fruits, dried fruits, freeze-dried fruits and smoothies. There are salty, spicy, roasted, BBQ-flavoured and plain nuts of all kinds. You can whizz them up to make a dukka. You can add them to breakfasts. Highly portable, natural, wholesome and delicious.
8. Biscuits. Where would we be without our favourite dunkable treat? Many everyday biscuits such as rich tea, ginger nuts, fruit shortcakes and digestives are vegan, and there are many more too such as Oreos and Hobnobs.
9. Fruit bars are healthy, satisfying and often tastier than they sound. If you know the range of Nak’d bars and nibbles, you’ll know what we mean. The Lemon Drizzle and Bakewell Tart flavours taste like the cakes they’re named after, and there are many more flavours and brands too. Perfect for a post-workout pick-up but a great snack any time.
10. Cake. Cake is good. Vegans love cake. There are thousands of vegan cake recipes online from brownies to cheesecakes to meringues, and from treacle tart to apple turnovers to cupcakes. You can make them all. You can also buy some out in the world, like Wicked Kitchen’s Charred Pineapple Dreamcake (available in Tesco), vegan cupcakes (in Asda), and the Lazy Days range which includes Millionaire Shortbread, Chocolate Tiffin and Rocky Road Slice. Many doughnuts are also vegan.
For more information on finding delicious vegan snacks in your local area, download our free Vegan Starter Kit (choose the kit specifically designed for your country.) Happy snacking!Get the Vegan Starter Kit